Model of the new city, ca. 1970 (photo: Fricke)
Living complex II, built 1953/54, 1960s photo: Fricke)
Department store at main street, 1960s (photo: Fricke)

New City of Eisenhüttenstadt

Eisenhüttenstadt was built between 1951 und the early 1960s to provide housing for the workers of the newly erected Steel Combine East that established modern steel producing facilities in the GDR under the conditions of the cold war and its rivaling German economies. The new city was a model for the socialist society to be built in the GDR and the first (of four) new cities planned in the country. It followed the "16 principles of city building" that adapted the ideas of modern urbanism of the 1930s as well as Soviet influences of the Stralin era. Eisenhüttenstadt was planned to be a "complete" city, densly built, functionally seperated and representing the changing styles of architecture during the 1950s and 1960s. In contrast to Western urban models Eisenhüttendtadt was not designed like a urban landscape and industry was the "city builder" according to Soviet urban planning since the early 1930s (Magnitogorsk).

In Eisenhüttenstadt (1953-1961 named Stalinstadt) the visitor can detect different styles of architecture, from 1920s inspired functionalism to neo-classicism to international style to pre-fab housing blocks. Today, the city is under monumental preservation.

The visitor to the Documentation Centre may plan an exhcursion into town with the help of an inter-active city map being part of the museum´s permanent exhibit.

Guided tours may be booked with the Tourist Information at
Lindenallee 25, Eisenhüttenstadt
Telefon: +49-3364-41 36 90
E-Mail: tor-eisenhuettenstadt at t-online

Read more about Eisenhüttenstadt´s history (in German).

nach oben